Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Our Services A - Z :

You are here: Home Page > Business > Licences and Street Trading > Dangerous Wild Animals Licence

Dangerous Wild Animals Licence

Dangerous Wild Animals            £359.00 (Vet fees are additional) From April 2017


To download our current Dangerous Wild Animals Licence Application Form and Guidance Notes, please click on the links below:

Dangerous Wild Animals Guidance Notes

Dangerous Wild Animals Licence Application Form

Dangerous Wild Animals Licence Conditions

If you would like to make an on-line payment, please use the link in the listing on the left hand side of this page.

The full Privacy Statement for Dangerous Wild Animal (DWA) Licensing can be viewed here

Licence Summary


Any person that wishes to keep any animal listed in the Schedule to the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 must obtain a Dangerous Wild Animals Licence from the local Licensing Authority.

The Act does not apply to any dangerous wild animal kept in:

  • a zoo;
  • a circus;
  • premises licensed as a pet shop;
  • a place (which is a designated establishment within the meaning of the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986.

Eligibility Criteria


Any applicant for a licence must:

  • be at least 18 years old;
  • own and process, or propose to own and possess, all of the animals that are to be included on the licence, unless there are circumstances which Bedford Borough Council consider exceptional;
  • not have been disqualified under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 from keeping any dangerous wild animal.

Regulation summary

a summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence

Application Evaluation Process


Applicants must complete and submit an application form with the relevant fee.

The Authority will arrange for an authorised veterinary surgeon/practitioner to undertake an inspection of the premises and produce a report, which the Authority is legally obliged to consider when determining the application.

The Authority will not grant a licence unless satisfied that:

  • it would not be contrary to the public interest on the grounds of safety, nuisance or otherwise;
  • the applicant is a suitable person to hold a licence and is adequately insured;
  • animals will be held in secure accommodation to prevent them from escaping;
  • accommodation for animals is suitable with regards to the construction, size, temperature lighting, ventilation, drainage and cleanliness,  and which is suitable for the number of animals proposed to be held in the accommodation;
  • animals are provided with adequate food, drink and bedding materials and will be visited at suitable intervals;
  • appropriate steps will be taken for the protection of any animal concerned in case of fire or other emergency;
  • appropriate steps will be taken to prevent and control the spread of infectious diseases;
  • while any animal concerned is at the premises where it will normally be held, its accommodation is such that it can take adequate exercise.

Conditions may be attached to any Licence granted.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?


No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.  The target completion period for processing these applications is 60 working days.

Apply online (You will need Version 9 (or higher) of Adobe Reader)



You can download application forms using the links on this page.  Once signed, you can also return them electronically.  On-line payment of the required fee is available using the links on the left hand side of this web page.

Failed Application Redress


Please contact the Local Authority in the first instance.

Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court

Licence Holder Redress


Please contact the Local Authority in the first instance.

Any licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court

Consumer Complaint


We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, you should contact the Licensing Authority or if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre

Other Redress


Trade Associations


WAZA - World Association of Zoos and Aquariums

BIAZA - British and Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums

RCVS - Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons