Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Our Services A - Z :

You are here: Home Page > Business > Licences and Street Trading > Licensing Act 2003 > Personal Licences

Personal Licences


Please click on the links below to download forms for a Personal Licence application

Section 36 of, and Schedule 4 to the Immigration Act 2016 (the 2016 Act) amend the 2003 Act to provide that in England and Wales:

Premises licences to sell alcohol or provide late night refreshment and personal licences cannot be issued to an individual who does not have permission to be in the UK, or is not entitled to undertake work relating to the carrying on of a licensable activity. Please refer to the guidance notes for each individual applications.

Application Pack for Personal Licence

Notification of change of name or address


A list of accredited providers of the Personal Licence qualification is available at the following link https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/accredited-personal-licence-qualification-providers


Please note that there is no requirement to renew your Personal Licence if the expiry date is after 1st May 2015. However if your personal details have changed since your Personal Licence was issued, there is a requirement to inform the issuing Local Authority of these changes. The fee payable on a change of address or name application is £10.50 and you will be required to return both parts of your original Personal Licence.


To apply for a Basic Disclosure Application Online, please visit The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) following this link:



To view a public register of Personal Licensees, please visit http://www.licensing.bedford.gov.uk/. This on-line register may not include all items that are available to the public for inspection and, therefore, further enquiries may be necessary of the Authority.


If you would like to make an on-line payment, please use the link in the listing on the left hand side of this page.

The full Privacy Statement for Personal Licences can be viewed here

Licence Summary


The purpose of Personal Licences under the Licensing Act 2003 is to license individuals to supply or authorise the supply of alcohol in accordance with a premises licence under the same Act. A Personal Licensee may also submit up to 50 Temporary Event Notices in each calendar year for the supply of alcohol, regulated entertainment or late night refreshments other than under the terms of a Premises Licence.

Eligibility Criteria


The Licensing Authority must grant a personal Licence to someone who is:

  • Aged 18 or over
  • Has the right to work in the UK
  • Possesses a defined licensing qualification (eg BIIAB’s NCPLH)
  • Not someone who has already forfeited a personal licence in the past five years.
  • Not someone convicted of a relevant offence defined in the 2003 Act or any foreign offence.

Where someone fails in respect of (a), (b) or (c) above, the application will be rejected.  Where an applicant fails in respect of (d) above only the Licensing Authority shall inform the Police who may object within 14 days.  If no objection is received the application will be granted otherwise the matter will be referred to a Licensing Sub-Committee of Councillors who will decide whether to grant or reject the application.

Regulation Summary

A summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence

Application Evaluation Process

See eligibility criteria above

Will Tacit Consent Apply?


No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.  The target completion period for processing these applications is 10 working days.

Apply online (You will need Version 9 (or higher) of Adobe Reader)



You can download application forms using the links on this page.  Once signed, you can also return them electronically.  On-line payment of the required fee is available using the links on the left hand side of this web page.

Failed Application Redress


Please contact the Local Authority in the first instance.

Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact the Local Authority in the first instance.

Consumer Complaint


We would always advise that in the event of a complaint you should contact the Licensing Authority or if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre

Other Redress


Trade Associations

British Institute of Inn Keeping