Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

 
Our Services A - Z :
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
 
 

You are here: Home Page > Council and Democracy > Council News > Archived News > May 2012 > Bedford on the fast track

Bedford on the fast track to better broadband

Faster Broadband is heading for Bedford Borough after a joint local broadband plan won Government support and funding.

 

Bedford Borough Council has campaigned for faster broadband speeds and gathered support for the Local Broadband Plan. A joint bid was submitted with Central Bedfordshire and Milton Keynes Council’s and Government funding of £440,000 for Bedford will now join match funding provided locally to help boost broadband speeds across the borough. 

 

The Borough Council will now be working closely with Central Bedfordshire and Milton Keynes Councils to get a provider on board to deliver the plan. This will mean delivering superfast broadband to at least 90% of households and businesses by 2015 along with a minimum of standard broadband for the remaining 10%, some of which are currently without access at all.

 

Mayor of Bedford Borough, Dave Hodgson who is leading on the project for the Council said: “I’m delighted that the Government has recognised the local backing we have for faster broadband in the borough.

 

“This funding will help to make a positive difference to local communities who currently suffer from poor or non-existent broadband access, including in rural areas.

 

“The campaign is continuing and I urge local residents and businesses that haven’t done so already to sign up to show their support and send a clear message to providers about the local demand for better broadband.”

 

To sign the petition supporting faster broadband for Bedford Borough go to www.bedford.gov.uk/broadband

Don't Miss

Borough Hall Exterior

In this section find out about the makeup of Bedford Borough Council and who your local Councillors are. You can also find out how to register for elections, submit FOI enquiries and more.

Related Links

 


Stay Connected
Sign up for email alerts!