Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Our Services A - Z :

What type of Venue?

You may choose to have your civil ceremony at any Register Office in England or Wales or any Approved Premises in any district in England and Wales. Regardless of where you live. Or you may choose to be married in a Church or Religious Building to which you are affiliated.


The Register Office

Bedford Borough Council has it's own Approved Venue, the Old Town Hall which holds up to 80 people (including all guests, two registrars, two parties to be married and any photographers). The cost includes the cost of both registrars, and the venue for the duration of your marriage ceremony and multiple weddings may be held each day. The Old Town Hall currently hosts ceremonies Monday through Saturday (excluding Bank Holidays). From 1st January 2018 we are also offering ceremonies on a Sunday.


A statutory fee wedding can be arranged for the two parties to be married and two witnesses only. These ceremonies are conducted in Bedford Register Office, an active office normally used for our birth, death, notice of marriage or civil partnership appointments. These are held on selected Monday mornings. Please contact us if you would like to arrange this.


An Approved Premises

Civil weddings or partnership ceremonies can take place in specially licensed hotels, restaurants, banqueting suites, stately homes and other historic buildings.

Please see our list of Licensed venues for ceremonies


When you have chosen the venue where you want to hold your ceremony you must check its availability, then confirm with the Superintendent Registrar that Registration Officers will be available on that day and at that time to perform the ceremony.  Please note that it is essential that you agree the date and time with the Superintendent Registrar and the venue before making any other arrangements.


A fee is also charged for the Registration Officer's attendance.  Couples having a ceremony at a venue must give Notice of their intention to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the district, or districts where they live. 


A Church or Religious Building

If you and your partner decide to be married in a church belonging to the Church of England then you should contact the vicar of that church who can advise you of the process.


If you are having your wedding/civil partnership in a religious building, except for a church belonging to the Church of England, you must still give Notice as if you were getting married or forming a civil partnership in a Registration Office in the district where you live.  Our Registrars will be glad to give you help and advice on this matter.  A Registrar from the district covering the building must be present at the ceremony unless the governing body of the religious building has chosen to appoint its own Authorised Person instead of the Registrar. The venue should be able to advise, if in doubt you can call us on 01234 718 028.



Don't Miss

Borough Hall Exterior

This website provides information on the services delivered by Bedford Borough Council.


Stay Connected
Sign up for email alerts!