Children Missing Education Procedure
The purpose of the Child Missing Education Procedures (2009) is
to establish a set of principles which all agencies can subscribe
to and is underpinned by Bedford’s Children and Young People’s
Plan, to ensure that Bedford Borough Council:
- Is able to fulfil its statutory duty to provide
an education for all children of compulsory school age;
- Is able to locate, assess, monitor and track
children and young people missing from education in order for them
to reach their full potential;
- Identifies those at risk of becoming missing
from education and accordingly allocates appropriate staff to
intervene. Maintains contact with those missing from education and
those at risk of becoming so.
- Is able to produce, monitor and evaluate data on
CME for Elected Members and Senior Officers in Children’s
- Ensure their responsibility is to be carried out
through a strategic and multi-agency framework where all agencies
share information on the identification of children and young
people missing education.
These procedures are an extension of current good practice with
Bedford Borough Schools and the Local Authority.