Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Our Services A - Z :

Help with childcare costs

Free early learning (for 2 year olds)

Some 2 year olds can get a free early learning place in a nursery, pre school, or with a childminder.

If you have received a 'Play and Learning Voucher' you are automatically eligible for 2 year funding and do not need to apply. Please hand the voucher in to your childcare provider. If you have not received a voucher, you may still be eligible for up to 15 hours a week.

If you have not received a voucher you can find out more and apply by following this link.

Free early years education (for 3 & 4 year olds)

All three and four year olds get 15 hours of free early education per week for 38 weeks.

When can my child get free early learning?

If your child goes to an Ofsted registered day nursery, pre-school, children's centre, independent school or childminder, they will get their free place as follows:

 Born between  Eligible from
  1 January and 31 March Summer term after Easter holidays (April)
 1 April and 31 August Autumn term (September)
 1 September and 31 December Spring term (January)


30 Hours free childcare (for some 3 & 4 year olds)

From September 2017, working parents of three and four year olds may also be entitled to an additional 15 hours of free childcare.  You can find out more and apply at gov.uk.

Early years pupil premium (EYPP)

Could your child’s nursery, pre-school or childminder get an extra £300 a year to support your child's learning? You can find out more and apply online here.

Working Tax Credit or Universal Credit

Working Tax Credit is designed to top up your earnings if you work and are on a low income.  You may also get help with your childcare costs if you use registered childcare. 

In some areas Working Tax Credit is being replaced by Universal Credit, which is a new benefit to support you if you are on a low income or out of work.

Tax Free Childcare Accounts

Tax Free Childcare accounts will be launching in 2017.  For every 80p parents pay in, the government will pay 20p, up to a maximum of £2000 a year per child, towards childcare costs.

Employer’s support towards childcare

Your employer can help towards childcare costs too through:

· childcare vouchers – each working parent can get up to £55 per week towards registered childcare costs

· childcare subsidies – this is where your employer provides their own extra financial support towards your childcare costs

· workplace provision – your employer has their own crèche facilities you can use

For more information talk to your employer.

Help with childcare costs while in education or training

If you’re a parent under 19 and you want to continue your own education, or you’re 19 and over and at college or university, you can apply for help with childcare costs, grants and residential support while you’re learning?

You can get this information and apply on the Learner Support Helpline website.



Don't Miss

Borough Hall Exterior

This website provides information on the services delivered by Bedford Borough Council.


Stay Connected
Sign up for email alerts!