Projects funded from Bedford Borough's Capital
programme should improve access to mainstream education in one
or more of the following ways:
1. enhance continuation of access across nursery,
primary and secondary phases in the local area
2. reduce home to school travel time for pupils by
make a local school accessible
3. improve physical access to the school. This may
include setting down and picking up points, ramps, handrails and
lifts and improvements to escape provisions
4. improve physical movement around the building,
including adaptations for sensory disability such as improved
colour schemes and access to social areas, dining rooms etc.
5. improve access to the national curriculum,
including specialist furniture such as desks, rise and fall tables,
sinks and ovens; and information and communication technology
equipment (both hardware and software)
6. improve accommodation within the building
including toilets for disabled pupils, medical rooms and sound
proofing for pupils with hearing disabilities.
7. projects should contribute to the Local
Authority's overall strategy for increasing access and inclusion
for pupils with special educational needs.