Do I Need Approval?
In general most building works require
Building Regulation approval. This includes the erection of a new
building, re-erection of an existing building, extension of a
building, material alteration to a building, material change of use
of a building, installation, alteration or extension of a
controlled service and installation, alteration or extension of a
However there are certain buildings and works
where the submission of a Building Regulations application is not
required. The following works may be undertaken without obtaining
Building Regulations approval.
Greenhouses and Agricultural Buildings
- Any greenhouse or agricultural building which
is not used for retailing, packaging or exhibiting.
- A building used for agriculture, or a
building principally for keeping animals provided that:
- No part is used as a dwelling
- The building is at least 1.5 times its height
from any building containing sleeping accommodation.
- No point in the building is less than 30m
from a fire exit.
Small Detached Buildings, Sheds, Garages,
- A detached building with a floor area less
than 15m2 which does not contain sleeping
- A detached single storey building with a
floor area less than 30m2 which does not contain
sleeping accommodation and is at least 1m from any boundary or is
made from substantially non-combustible material.
A single storey ground floor extension less
then 30m2 which consists of a conservatory*, porch,
covered yard, covered way or carport which is open on at least two
* For a conservatory to be classed as an
exempt extension, it will need to be:
- Thermally separated from the rest of the
- Have at least 50% of its walls and 75% of its
roof constructed of translucent material
- Independent heating/cooling
- Glazing that satisfies the requirements of
K4, K5.1, K5.2, K5.3 and K5.4 of Schedule 1 of the Building
If the work includes any electrical
installation, your proposal is not listed above or you would like
further clarification then please contact us.
Bedford Building Control
Bedford Borough Council
Tel: 01234 718081
Please note that even if the works you
are proposing are exempt from Building Regulations other approvals
may be required. We recommend that you contact Development Services
to ascertain if Planning
Permission or Listed Building Consent is required.