Responsibility for the enforcement of Health and Safety
Legislation is shared between the Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
and Local Authorities (District or Borough Councils). In Local
Authorities, health and safety is usually dealt with by the
Environmental Health Department.
Local Councils are the Enforcing Authority for the following types
- Offices (except government offices)
- Leisure premises
- Nurseries and playgroups
- Pubs and Clubs
- Museums (privately owned)
- Places of worship
- Sheltered accommodation and care homes
You should contact the Environmental Health Department if you
are not sure whether they enforce health and safety at the premises
you are concerned about.
Other types of business will be the responsibility of the HSE.
You can contact them on 0300 031647 or through the HSE
website. For Bedford, the Area Office is at Woodlands, Manton
Lane, Manton Lane, Bedford.
The Enforcing Authorities carry out a number of important
- Investigating reported accidents;
- Following up complaints (for example from a concerned
- Checking compliance with legislation;
- Providing advice and information;
- Collating statistics for particular industry sectors;
- Taking enforcement action
If you require advice or information regarding Health and Safety,
or are concerned about issues in your workplace, you can contact us
on 01234 718099.