Kerbside Battery Collection
Bedford Borough Council provides a kerbside
collection of used household batteries to all houses in the
Borough as part of our ongoing efforts to increase recycling
Residents are still able to use the battery
collection facilities located in the Borough Hall reception area,
Bedford’s Household Waste Recycling Centre at Barkers Lane and in
all major electrical retailers and supermarkets.
to use the scheme:
1. Put your used batteries in a clear
plastic sandwich bag and tie/seal it once it’s full.
2. Place the sealed bag on top of your black refuse bin or
black sacks on your normal day of collection.
Top Tip: Try to use rechargable batteries wherever possible,
they are better for the environment and could save you money. They
can also be recycled in the kerbside collection.
Which type of
batteries can be recycled?
The following types of batteries can be placed in a sandwich
sized bag and placed out for collection:
Please note that we cannot accept car or other industrial
batteries through this scheme.
Why recycle batteries?
- Batteries are produced from valuable and increasingly
scarce raw materials.
- Up to 60% of a battery can be successfully recycled.
- They contain various hazardous chemicals and metals which can
be damaging to the environment
- Legislation introduced in 2009 states that the costs of
collecting, treating and recycling batteries should be met by
the producers. The UK now has a legal obligation to increase
its battery recycling rate to 45% by 2016. The UK currently
has one of the lowest battery recycling rates in Europe.
- Around 600 million UK household batteries (22,000 tonnes) – the
equivalent weight of 22 Jumbo Jets - are sent to landfill each
- The average household uses 21 batteries a year, all of which
could be recycled.
- You can tell your batteries are running low or used up by
testing them in a torch or clock, or by using a battery
- Rechargeable batteries are much more cost effective and better
for the environment
For more information about
the kerbside battery recycling scheme please contact us via
email at email@example.com or
call Customer Services on 01234 718060.