Safe, Healthy & Well
and Well, updated in October 2015, is a one-stop information
leaflet which brings together existing services offered by Bedford
Borough Council, and other organisations to
help residents of Bedford Borough keep safe, healthy and well
during the winter months. Services and advice listed
- Insulation Schemes
- Home Improvements
- Handyperson Scheme
- Fire Safety Checks
- Home Security Checks
- Benefits advice
- Jobs Advice
- Debt and Housing advice
- Health and Wellbeing advice
Tips on Keeping Warm and Saving Money on Energy Bills:
- If you are over 65, or have a health problem, heat your home to
at least 18°C to keep warm.
- Put on several warm, light layers of clothing which will keep
you warmer than one thick layer. Have hot drinks, use a hot water
bottle and if you're sitting down, put a blanket over you.
For more advice on how to keep warm in winter visit
- Insulating your home could save you up to £320 per year on your
energy bills if you install both loft and cavity wall
insulation. For free and impartial advice on how to save
energy in the home including information on the Green Deal and the
Energy Companies Obligation, contact the Energy Saving Advice
Service on 0300 123 1234.
For more advice on insulating your home visit
Insulation and Green Deal pages.
- Check with your current supplier to see if you are are on the
best tariff and payment method for your circumstances, if you are
eligible for any discounts on your electricity bills or financial
assistance with heating or insulation improvements.
- Switch your tariff or energy supplier if you are able to get a
better deal. Try using an energy price comparison service.
- If you are worried about meeting your heating costs, contact
the independent Home Heat Helpline on 0800 33 66 99 for advice on
bills and energy efficiency.
For more advice on saving money on your energy bills
visit the Reducing Energy
Safe, Healthy and Well Poster: