Climate Change Strategy
The Climate Change
Strategy 2012/13-2015/16 sets out the Council’s aim of
influencing and empowering residents, community groups, schools and
businesses in the Borough to help them to mitigate climate change
by reducing their carbon emissions and also aims to implement
carbon reduction projects to reduce the carbon emissions of its own
buildings. The Council will also work to increase the resilience
and capacity of the Council’s services to a changing climate and
will support the residents and businesses of the Borough to adapt
to climate change by helping them to prepare and increase their
resilience to the possible impacts of climate change.
The strategy has a number of objectives:
Priority One: Tackling Climate Change:
- Reduce the carbon emissions from the Council’s
buildings (including schools).
- Support the communities and businesses of
Bedford Borough to reduce energy consumption and mitigate climate
- Advise and support residents of the Borough to
help them to affordably heat their homes.
- Increase the use and provision for renewable
energy within the Borough.
Emissions from Transport
- Reduce greenhouse emissions from vehicles
through transport planning and the use of alternative fuels and
- Improve and promote a safe and convenient
walking, cycling and public transport network; and
- Ensure that new developments are located and designed to
encourage the use of public transport, walking and cycling.
Adapting to Climate Change
- Prepare and adapt the Council’s services to the
possible impacts of climate change.
- Support the residents and businesses of the
Borough to prepare and increase their resilience to the possible
impacts of climate change.
Priority Two: Using Resources Efficiently:
- Minimise waste sent to landfill from the
council, and the residents and businesses of the Borough.
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions from waste
- Reduce water usage and conserve water where
possible within the Council and encourage residents and businesses
to be water efficient.
- Seek to minimise the Council's impact on the
environment when procuring, by ensuring the optimum levels of
sustainability are achieved.
Sustainable Building Development
- Promote the construction of carbon neutral
building developments in the Borough
- Encourage the installation of measures to new
and existing buildings to improve their energy efficiency,
sustainability and adaptability to climate change.