What is mental health?
Almost everyone copes with mental and emotional health issues at
some time in their life. This can include depression, self harming,
anxiety and stress.
Why do people have mental and emotional health problems?
- There are many reasons - life events, such as personal
loss, bullying, financial difficulties, job difficulties and
- Some medications are known to cause depressed moods in a
significant amount of patients.
- Some psychiatric disorders feature depression as a main
- For some people there can be a physical reason.
What is depression?
- Depression is an emotional state of low mood and an overall
negative outlook e.g thoughts, behaviour, feelings and well
- Depression may make you feel alone, sad, anxious, empty,
hopeless, worthless, guilty, hurt or restless.
- A person may lose interest in activities that they once enjoyed
and found pleasurable.
- A person may experience a change of eating habits e.g. binge
eating, stop eating regularly or not eating at all.
- A person may experience difficulties concentrating, remembering
details or making decisions. Some depressed people contemplate
suicide. They may experience insomnia due to stress and worries
caused from depression.
- Depression can be treated and can be manageable.
What is anxiety
Anxiety is a state of apprehension, uncertainty, and fear
resulting from the anticipation of a realistic or fantasised
threatening event or situation, often impairing physical and
What is self harming?
Self harm is when people set out to hurt themselves or damage
their health deliberately. Sometimes this is done in
secret. Self harm can include cutting, burning, bruising or
Who can help?
Samaritans Telephone: 08457 909090 (24 hours a day)
Childline - Telephone 0800 1111 Website:
Young Minds - Telephone 0808 802 5544 Website:
Mind - Youth in Mind - website: http://www.mind-blmk.org.uk/
Rethink Self Harm Helpline - Telephone 0808 8010606/
Text 07537 410022
Do you have a parent with a mental Health problem?
For more information on this please visit the Young Minds
website by clicking