Help for people with a physical disability - Bedford Borough
Physical Disabilities Social Work Team
The Bedford Borough Physical Disabilities Team is a team of
Social Workers and Support Workers who provide support to people
over the age of 18 years up to 65 years who have a physical
disability. When you contact us to ask for help we will ask
you a series of questions. The answers to these questions
will help us to decide what we can do to help you. This is
known as an assessment.
We are available to take enquiries and referrals during the
working day Monday to Friday.
We aim to provide you with services to help
you live safely and independently, based on your assessment of
need and eligibility for services.
We will work with you to:
- Increase your independence
- Increase choice and control in your daily life
- Enable you to access other support services
- Improve your quality of life
Services we provide
We sometimes assess your needs by telephone and sometimes in
person by visiting you, it depends on your individual
Following your assessment a range of services may be
provided. These services may include:
We also support referrals for Sheltered Housing.
Some examples of when we would arrange support for you are if:
- you are unable to get out of your bed or chair or move around
- you find it difficult to look after yourself because you are
unable to prepare meals and drinks or wash themselves properly
- your main carers (relatives, friends or neighbours) are unable
to support you without help
- your main carers are putting their own health and welfare at
risk because of the nature of the caring tasks
- you have been subjected to physical, sexual, psychological or
financial abuse, or if there are good reasons to suspect that you
may be at risk of such abuse.
The services we provide will be reviewed on a regular basis by
social work colleagues based in the community and adjusted
according to your needs. We work closely with Doctors,
Nurses, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Care Agencies
and other specialist services.
How to contact us
Bedford Borough Physical Disabilities Social Work Team
Bedford Borough Council
Tel: 01234 228328
Download our leaflet here - Help for
people with a physical disability
for disabled people