Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Our Services A - Z :

You are here: Home Page > Housing > Mobile Home and Caravan Sites

Mobile Home and Caravan Site Licensing

There is a range of national legislation and guidance which affects the management and operation of mobile home parks within the Borough of Bedford - The Caravan and Control of Development Act 1960, Caravan Sites Act 1968, Mobile Homes Act 1983 and Mobile Homes Act 2013.  For further information on the applicable legislation please see the Q&A Document and Guidance.

Mobile homes









Mobile Home Parks Q&A (Nov 2013)


Mobile Homes Act 2013


The Mobile Homes Act 2013 was enacted on 26 May 2013.

Sections 1 to 7 came into effect on 1 April 2014.


  • Section 1 – gives local authorities the ability to introduce fees (on application and an annual fee).
  • Section 2 – gives local authorities discretion whether to issue and/or transfer site licences.
  • Section 3 – appeals to site licence conditions will go to the Residential Property Tribunal instead of going to the Magistrates Court.
  • Section 4 – gives local authorities the ability to serve a compliance notice where there are one or more breaches of site licence conditions.
  • Section 5 – gives local authorities the ability to carry out works where the licence holder has failed to do so, this includes the recovery of costs.
  • Sections 6 and 7 – amend details in relation to appeals, operative periods, recovery of expenses and the residential tribunal.


Section 8 – places a requirement on the licence holder to be a “fit and proper person”. This has not yet been enacted and is not likely to be until 2017.


Sections 9 to 12 came into effect as of 26 May 2013.


  • Section 9 – makes site rules express terms of agreement
  • Section 10 – removes the requirement for the site owner to consent to the sale or gift of a mobile home (please also see the Regulation named above for further information)
  • Section 11 – changes the way in which a site owner can change pitch fees
  • Section 12 – amends the protection occupiers have against eviction and harassment


For further information about how the changes affect you, download this leaflet ‘Park homes: know your rights’ from the Department for Communities and Local Government or go to


The Caravan and Control of Development Act 1960 prohibits the use of land as a caravan site unless the occupier holds a site licence that has been issued by the Council


The Mobile Homes (Site Rules) (England) Regulations 2014

These Regulations prescribe the procedure for the making, variation and deletion of site rules on residential mobile home parks. Site Licence Holders must follow a set procedure for changes to be made to “site rules” for a permanent residual home site.

Full details of the regulations can be found at http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2014/5/contents/made

The following sites have submitted their Site Rules. Click on the site home name to display the site rules.


Mobile Home Site Name

Site Address


Received date


Folly Park

High Street, Clapham Bedford MKH 6AL


16/09/ 2014


Peppercorn Park

The Baulk, Clapham, Bedford MK41 6HD




Radwell Retreat Mobile Home Park


Felmersham Road, Radwell, Bedford MK43 7HS



Brookside Park

Stagsden Road, Bromham, MK43 8LX




Briar Bank Park

Luton Road, Wilstead MK45 3ES




Wayside Farm Park


Bedford Road, Ravenden, Bedford MK44 2RA

To be submitted


Pavenham Park

Bedford Road Pavenham, Bedford MK53 7JN




All site rules have now been submitted.


Mobile Homes Site Licence Fees

The Council's fee and charges can be viewed by clicking on the following link: Mobile Homes Site licence fees


Applying for a Licence

An application must be completed, accompanied by a site plan at 1:500 scale showing the layout of roads, caravans and facilities.

For an application form contact us on 01234 718099 or email: ehadmin@bedford.gov.uk

Please note a licence cannot be issued without corresponding planning permission.

If you require further information, please use the contact details above.



There are some exceptions:

  • A caravan sited with the curtilage of a dwelling and its use is incidental to the dwelling. This means it cannot be occupied separately.
  • A single caravan sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Up to three caravans on a site of not less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club.
  • Sites of up to 5 caravans certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members only.
  • Sites occupied by the local authority. These are usually gypsy sites.
  • Sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen.
  • A site for tents only can be used for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.


Licence Conditions

Licences have conditions taken from ‘model standards’ which include:

  • The type of caravan, e.g. residential, static holiday or touring.
  • The permitted density (the number per acre/hectare) and the spacing between caravans.
  • Water supply and drainage; lavatory and washing facilities.
  • Fire precautions and electrical installations.


Are you a Caravan Site occupier?

You should have a licence already but you should check that your name, the site name and address is correct and up to date. Also check that the licence corresponds with your planning permission. If not, contact us using the details above.

If you have recently become a caravan site occupier, licences are transferable to a new occupier but the law requires us to give consent for the transfer. You should complete an application form with a letter requesting for transfer.


Are you a potential site occupier?

You or your legal advisor should check that all the land used for siting caravans has planning permission and that the details correspond with the site licence. If you wish to change the use of the land to a permanent caravan site use you must have planning permission before a licence can be issued.

Copies of the Caravan and Control of Development Act 1960 and other legislation mentioned can be purchased from Her Majesty’s Stationery Office (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/). A copy of the Caravan and Control of Development Act 1960 can be viewed at the council offices where you may also obtain an application forms, a copy of the conditions and further help or advice.


Contact Details

For further information or to request an application form email: ehadmin@bedford.gov.uk or call 01234 718099.

Don't Miss


This section provides helpful housing advice for people interested in and currently living in the borough. You can find information on private and social housing, related support services and homelessness.


Stay Connected
Sign up for email alerts!