Blue Badge Misuse & Fraud
Download the Bedford Fraud App
Please click on either of the following links to download the
Bedford Fraud app
Misuse of a Blue Badge is a serious offence
and in some case may be considered to be fraud.
The Council is committed to taking action against Blue Badge
fraud and misuse and in serious cases the Council will
prosecute offenders. A Badge can be withdrawn if it is
misused or the badge holder allows others to misuse it.
It is a criminal offence to display a Blue Badge unless the
badge holder is in the vehicle, or the vehicle is being used to
pick up or drop off the holder.
It is also a criminal offence for non-disabled people to
use a Badge. If they do so, they are liable to a fine of up to
Examples of Blue Badge Misuse and Fraud
- Lying about or exaggerating a disability to get a
- Making or using a fake Badge
- Altering a Badge (for example to make if appear the Badge is
- Using a Badge knowing that it is stolen
- Using a Badge that belonged to a person that has died
- Using a Badge when the Badge Holder is not travelling in the
Misuse of a designated Blue Badge bay
Non-disabled people who park in a bay
designated for Blue Badge holders are liable to a parking fine.
Advice about when a Badge can be used
If you are not sure about when you can use a Badge you should
contact the Council for advice.