Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Our Services A - Z :

You are here: Home Page > Transport and Streets > Public Transport > Travel Aid

Travel Aid

Please note that from 1st October 2013, the Travel Aid scheme will no longer be operated in partnership with Central Bedfordshire Council.  From this date, Bedford Residents will continue to pay £1 for a 28 day pass.  Central Bedfordshire residents will pay £5 for a 28 day pass.  New forms are being produced and will be available at Jobcentres from 1st October.


Full details of the Bedford Borough Travel Aid scheme are given below. 


Who qualifies?

You can get a Travel Aid pass if you live in Bedford and:

  • you are in receipt of income based Jobseeker's Allowance  (JSA) or
  • you are in receipt of income based Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or 
  • you are a lone parent in receipt of Income Support, or
  • you are a 16 or 17 year old unemployed school leaver registered with Jobs Hub.


How much does it cost?

A Bedford Borough Travel Aid pass costs £1.00 and is valid for 28 days. During that time, you can travel on most, buses in the Bedford Borough area at half the adult single fare (rounded up to the nearest 5p). Simply show your pass to the driver when buying your ticket.


When can I use it? 
Your Travel Aid pass is valid after 0900 on Mondays to Fridays and on all day Saturdays and Sundays. You can use it on most local buses but not express coaches, community transport, tours or excursions.  You can also travel on buses that go outside this area providing your journey starts or finishes in Bedford or Central Bedfordshire.  Travel Aid can only be used on the section of the Stagecoach X5 service between Cambridge and Milton Keynes and is only valid for journeys starting or finishing in Bedford Borough.  See below for details.


How do I obtain a pass?

Step 1 - Fill in the application form obtained from your local Job Centre Plus (or Jobs Hub).

Job Centre Plus (or Jobs Hub) must stamp your application.  They will not accept applications for stamping unless all of the personal details are completed in advance.

You must enter the date on which you want the Travel Aid pass to be valid - this must be no more than 7 days after the date on which you take the application form to be stamped.


Step 2 - Take the completed application form to the Job Centre Plus (or Jobs Hub) for stamping.

The Job Centre Plus (or Jobs Hub) decide whether or not you are eligible for a Travel Aid pass, based on the type of benefit you receive.  Bedford Borough Council cannot enter in to any correspondence on the question of your eligibility.


Step 3 - Take your stamped application for to the issuing point

For Bedford Borough Council residents, the issuing point is:


Customer Service Centre

2 Horne Lane, Bedford MK40 1RA


Opening hours:

8:45am – 5:00pm Monday – Thursday

8:45am – 4:45pm Friday


You will need to pay £1 for each 28 day period of validity.  If you have not held a Travel Aid pass before, you will also need to bring a passport sized photograph of yourself so that you can be provided with a photocard.


How do I renew my pass?  

When your pass expires, at the end of the 28 day period, simply fill in another application form and repeat steps 1 to 3 above.

You can renew your Travel Aid pass up to 7 days before the old pass expires.


Conditions of use

(1) When Job Centre Plus (or Jobs Hub) determine whether or not you are eligible to hold a Travel Aid pass, their decision is final and no correspondence shall be entered in to.


(2) Travel Aid passes are valid for use on most local bus services in Bedford Borough. Bus companies may restrict the use of Travel Aid passes beyond a certain distance - If in doubt, contact the bus company before travelling.


Travel Aid passes are NOT accepted on the following services:

  • Centrebus
  • Green Line
  • National Express
  • Stagecoach service 99 (Milton Keynes - Luton Airport Rail Link)
  • Stagecoach X5 service beyond Milton Keynes (the section of Route between Milton Keynes Rail Station and Oxford)
  • Other Express coach services
  • Community transport services such as The Villager
  • Tours or excursions


(3) Your journey must start or finish in Bedford Borough.


(4) A valid photocard and a Travel Aid pass bearing the number on the photocard must be presented together to obtain the concession stated in this scheme.


(5) Travel Aid passes are NOT transferable.  They can only be used by the card holder.


(6) The Travel Aid pass and photocard remain the property of the issuing council and must be shown when buying a ticket and at any other time on demand.


(7) The bus driver (or other company official) has the right to question the holder's entitlement in suspicious or doubtful circumstances and may retain the Travel Aid pass and photocard for verification by the issuing council.


(8) Bedford Borough Council reserve the right to require a new photograph to be taken if the appearance of the holder changes significantly.


(9) Holders of a Travel Aid pass are subject to all regulations concerning the carriage of passengers and the standard conditions of the operators.


(10) No refunds will be considered.


(11) Neither Job Centre Plus (or Jobs Hub) nor the issuing councils will tolerate physical or verbal abuse of their staff.  Every effort will be made to prosecute those people who commit acts of assault, aggression or verbal/physical abuse on members of staff. Persons committing such behaviour will lose their entitlement to a Travel Aid pass as well as other benefits.


The Bedford Borough Travel Aid is administered by Bedford Borough Council.

Don't Miss

Transport and Street

From parking to public transport, roads, pavements, parking and much more, this section tells you everything you need to know about transport and streets in the borough of Bedford.


Stay Connected
Sign up for email alerts!